Mama K (CD5K), Training (read: Practicing), Where I'm at now...

Project Me – Week 2

I don’t fully understand what happened this past week. There were days where I was on point and then there were moments of salty cravings that led to bacon and other dangerously delicious porks (in smaller amounts – maybe).   Here’s the check in:

Weight: 177                           Change: +4.7             Current mood: OMG WTF and I quit.

Thoughts – I know hormones can play a big role in weight fluctuation and I’m hoping that’s what this is. I’ll give it another week and see what the scale says.

One major change this week: I drank either 1 cup of black coffee, 1 cup of black coffee with a small teaspoon of coconut oil and cinnamon stirred in, or no coffee.  I found monkfruit sugar packets and used 2 this week in my coffee. I didn’t mind it but I also didn’t need it. This was a BIG deal.  Unexpectedly, I haven’t missed the second cup of coffee at all, nor have I missed the cream and sugar. So while I’m having moments of this is just too much effort, something’s working.

Exciting observation: I have slept better and am waking up much easier.  I’ve never been one to have difficulty sleeping – I love sleep! I also never really have problems with waking in the middle of the night, but what I do feel is that I’m sleeping more soundly and falling asleep much easier and at a normal 9/10pm time.  Maybe it’s the reduced amount of sugar (but – confession –  I’ve still had some chocolates and other foods that have sugar in them), maybe it’s just getting more vitamins and minerals in my food, maybe it’s less gluten foods like pasta, or a combination of a bunch of things, but I am very happy about not feeling so groggy when the alarm goes off at 5am.  So, again, when I feel like I want to quit because the scale isn’t saying what I want it to say, I really don’t think I should quit because the benefits of good sleeping, waking, and feel more clear headed are powerful.

I am still waiting for more energy, but I feel like that may be the next exciting observation on the way because my sleeping and waking is better.  Stay tuned.

My week in a nutshell…some days went sideways (and there were moments of ugliness) and I’ll spare you all of the gory details.


After 9 freezing miles I was exhausted, cranky, and starving.  I went out to lunch with Charlotte at a very fitting place called Grumpy’s.  It’s a gourmet sandwich shop in Pottstown that has been around for years and yet I had still never been.  What a treat! Saturday evening we ate at my mother’s house so we had a hearty meal of braised chicken thighs, rice and beans, and a salad.  I also had one glass of Sauvengean Blanc white wine. Dessert was a mega fail (or was it the best moment of 2017 so far?) for me because she had fresh French bread and room temperature and spreadable butter. I practically ate half the loaf with a cup of decaf coffee. It was amazing.


Despite my big meal the previous night, I woke up starving.  I decided that since I was home today I was going to take my time and prepare well thought out meals for the week.  I found a lot of meats on sale at Giant so I was thrilled. I found a whole chicken (so I could make soup) for only $4.56 and flounder was on sale for $5.99 a pound.  I was feeling optimistic about the week!

Breakfast:  Cup of black coffee (I did it! No sugar or half & half needed).  I’d like to say I missed my additives but I didn’t. I was perfect happy to drink my cup of Dark Magic as it was meant to be enjoyed.  I had a half a cup of Fage (complete – full fat) plain Greek yogurt and added the following: 1 tablespoon of Goji berries (found these bad boys at TJ Maxx), black berries, walnuts, and a drizzle of honey. This just looked pretty so I enjoyed eating it.


Lunch: All mixed up. I was making chicken noodle soup but it wasn’t quite ready and I wanted to get to the Y to go for a swim so I just had some rice crackers and hummus. Char was frying up some pieces of haddock to make her own “fish and chips” so I had a few bites of that. When I got home I drank a cup of the chicken broth. It was delicious.  I also ate the rest of Wyatt’s leftover orange sitting on his plate.

Mid-Afternoon Snack: I ate a bowl of the homemade chicken noodle soup. It was amazing. I found the recipe on Country Living’s website, but I modified.  I only used 1 quart of low sodium chicken broth and I used 2 quarts of water to make the stock.  I don’t like cooked carrots so my soup included: noodles, celery, onions, lots of garlic (but not enough – could easily have used more), leeks, and spinach.   It turned out AMAZING. I’m so happy to have lunch for the better part of the week.  There was plenty to freeze and there was a giant Tupperware for Ryan to take to work for his lunches too.  It was kid tested by the eldest, and it was approved.  The only thing I would change is that we used regular pasta noodles and they absorbed too much of the broth. Char said egg noodles were disgusting and refused to let me use them, but I definitely will next time.

Dinner: I had leftover chicken breast that I had to cook or it would go bad and it was too cold and windy to grill it.  The kids love chicken marsala so I made that.  They ate it with regular spaghetti noodles, but I made myself zucchini and squash noodles.  Though I have my own Vegetti Pro (LOL- best product name ever), I was feeling lazy and bought my “noodles” already spiraled.

Well, I ate it and it was awful. Since I was feeling healthy, I used coconut flour instead of regular all purpose flower for breading the chicken. Then I heated up my beet, zuccini, and squash noodles.  When I put it all together on my plate I hated it. So I dumped my plate of vegetables and ate my chicken the way it was meant to be enjoyed- with pasta.  1 hour later, REJECTION! I was so bloated and gassy for the rest of the night. I was disgusting.  I don’t think I’ll do that again.

Workout: Swam a half a mile. I was hoping to do more, but I got to the pool too late and the swim team was getting ready for practice. I had about 20 minutes.


Woke up and went to CrossFit in 11 degrees.  It was a really tough, great workout. I was starving once I got home.

Breakfast: 2 eggs over easy with 2 slices of fried up Tavern ham and a quarter of an avocado.

Lunch: Went out to lunch and ate a chicken salad sandwich on a whole wheat wrap.  A few tortilla chips.

Dinner: Boneless sirloin grilled steak, red quinoa, simple cabbage slaw made with sliced onions, olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.  Also put some homemade beans over the quinoa.  This is steakone of my favorite meals of all times to make and to eat. It’s just so deliciously satisfying in every way.  I’m never hungry afterwards and I find it to be a savory meal. I have no idea how many calories it comes out to be because I don’t weigh my food and I likely don’t portion it out correctly. I’ll have to work on that for next week.  My husband opened a bottle of wine yesterday and that’s tough. You can’t leave an open bottle of wine around. I had a glass with dinner.

Tuesday I was great with a smoothie and homemade soup at work. But then I went sideways again when I had a lunch meeting and I caved because none of the salads looked good. I wound up eating a buffalo chicken wrap and every single last Herr’s original potato chip that they put on my plate.  They were amazing.  But then I was back on track Tuesday night and had flounder and the avocado, onion, and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.

Wednesday was where things really started to go south. I started out great with a smoothie and black coffee, an egg fried up with leeks, red onion, and cherry tomatoes with avocado on the side. I did have 2 slices of bacon.  I ate my chicken noodle soup for lunch.  Then it happened. I was like a garbage can eating everyone’s leftovers because I didn’t eat enough before going to the YMCA to run at dinner time.  So when I got home I binged on all the wings and left over roast beef sandwich that was left from the rest of the family’s meal. I wasn’t prepared.  Ryan came home from a 7pm meeting with a pizza because “someone had to take it home.”  I didn’t eat any of it…then.

Thursday is when I woke up and saw a half eaten slice of leftover pizza still in the box on the stove.  It was just left there all sad and looking like it should be thrown away.  But did I throw it away? No, of course not. I stood at the kitchen sink in the darkness of the morning, eating that tore up slice of pizza like it was my last meal. After a good amount of bites, I snapped back into reality and I shared the crust with the dogs. They were thrilled.  I made a smoothie with my Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Blend after that. It was delicious.  I was back on track for lunch too, eating tuna mixed with hummus, onions, avocado, and tomatoes.  I also had a cup and a half of my chicken noodle soup.  Great lunch and I was very satisfied.  Then I ran 4 miles before dinner and it was rough. I wasn’t too hungry at first and knew I was going to yoga later that night so I didn’t want to eat much. I wound up making an egg and frying up the last bits of the leftover sirloin steak along with some veggies.  After yoga I was just tired, and I was a little hungry. I wound up eating a Blueberry Acai Oatmeal and Flax Fruit Squeeze made by Munk Pack. One of the Mamas I ran with found it in her workout bag from when we raced in the Ragnar Trail event. They had these as an after run snack.  She didn’t want it so I happily took it.  They’re pretty good and I felt like I needed some sugars after 2 workouts. Then I stole some candy from the kids.  Airhead minis.  I haven’t eaten at Airhead since I was 9 years old, but I had to eat a few of these.  I don’t know why I couldn’t resist it. I don’t even like candy. I like chocolate.  But not that night. I needed those Airheads dammit.

Friday was a no coffee kind of morning. I made a smoothie because I had to run out the door early.  I drank about half of it but didn’t really want it because my stomach wasn’t feeling great.  Remember those beet “noodles” I hated last weekend? Well I threw a bunch of them in this smoothie along with a half of a really ripe banana, protein powder, baby spinach, berries, and almond milk. It turned out great. It didn’t look very appetizing, but it was definitely good enough to drink.   I drank the rest of it when I got home from my meetings.  It was still good, so I was pleased.  For a really late lunch I made more leftovers.  I found bacon sitting on the stove that Charlotte had cooked for breakfast and just left there. How could I say no? I cut it up into pieces and threw it into a pan. Then I threw in baby spinach, tomatoes, leeks and sauteed it all up. Then I threw in leftover red quinoa and the leftover flounder.  It turned out to be a really delicious warm salad. And easy. I needed a crunch so I did have a few Stacey’s plain pita chips with hummus.


I’m trying. I really really am. And I think I’m doing pretty well until I type it all out and see what’s happening in real life (I didn’t even tell you about the beef sticks from Zern’s Farmer’s Market that I ate like a savage while standing at an open refrigerator, “deciding” on a healthy snack).  I realize I have so many improvements to make.  But in the spirit of mindfulness, I will accept these feelings as feelings and move on; staying focused on the positive changes. I’m happy that I’ve been drinking more water and am starting to realize that my thirst is sometimes misunderstood as hunger.  I will continue to keep working on all of this nutrition stuff knowing that I’m sleeping, waking, and in general feeling better.


Today was a short mileage long run and we had a beautiful winter morning for running our 10K. It felt amazing and we did really well with our intervals of 1/1:30.  Then we got to the good stuff of omelettes, biscuits and homemade jam, and “soon-to-be-famous” potato pancakes at Ice House Deli in Pottstown.  How can anyone pass up a delicious meal like this??? I didn’t even want to.  Everything was amazing.  We left with full bellies and even fuller hearts.

Until next week!

We’re in it together,

Mama K




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s